Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Part 1 *Becoming more Self Sufficient can also mean...Down Sizing



 Yes I said "Down Size"...

By: Rebecca Plummer
I know it's not what many would call the American dream fulfilled. We have been lead to believe from as early as we can think back that who ever has the biggest house and their own bedroom are the ones who made it, they have it. They have succeeded! Unfortunately as the house got bigger and the debt incurred to have them grow larger, mom had to go to work to help dad pay the bills and little Suzy and Billy became latch key kids. Thats when the real tragedy started for the American family. Mom and dad both working to keep up with the Jones and missing out on the real things of importance. The Family!

The American dream, Not so much!
We are led to think that up-sizing is what makes us happy and successful. I can tell you it's a lie straight from the pit of hell...

Jack and I have had a lot and had a little, Not always by choice. We have made lots of money and lived in big house, and we have lost money and lived in one room! On more than one occasion! When you are in the big house with the money you are always looking for ways to make more money and  acquire more things. You don't even realize the bondage you are under.

Before the housing crash, Jack and myself had made a considerable amount of money and owned about 18 homes give or take a few depending on sales. I worked from the crack of dawn to late into the night with a blue tooth phone hanging off my ear at all times. (I now hate phones)

Have you ever looked back at where you once were and said, "My God how did I get there and why did I stay". Sometimes when you are in the middle of something you don't even see how really difficult or how far you had gotten from true peace.

Then you loose it! Either by choice or by the crash of the housing market in our case!

It all starts slipping through your fingers. You fight and struggle to hold on to what you think you have to have. But it just keep slipping faster and faster, you're desperate and feel you're at the end of your rope.

What will you do, this is your life and you love it, you need it, and have to have it! Then it's gone.... you have no house, cars, no furniture, tools, quads and horses nothing, no life. Your devastated, hopeless and humiliated now living in your camper on the back of your truck. Not even sure where to park it for the night!

Well that was us!

We should have thrown a "Thank you God, we are free Party" we had no idea how far from a life of true peace we had gone. We had so much stuff and so much responsibility to maintain all the stuff, we forgot about true peace of mind and where real joy comes from. I wouldn't go back to all that stuff for anything.

We need so much less than we have been taught to think. Ever take a trip or go camping and enjoy the simple things in life and wish you didn't have to go home?

I'm here to tell you, Life can be lived just that way! Here's the But, you have to be willing to make some big changes, start down sizing now! better you do it than having it happen when you're not ready! Become more Self Sufficient, and I'm not talking about more money! Re-prioritize your life...

Remembering that at first this may be somewhat uncomfortable. It's not the End of peace, it's the beginning...

 Stay tuned... Part 2 to follow....








4 comments:

  1. This meant so much to me. My husband and I are doing just that. Our four kids are grown and out of the five bedroom sub division house. Time to sell this museum and move on. We purchased some land and are moving into an old pop up next month. We will build a small cabin with the money from the house sale, but a small one. I can't wait for the quiet, the glow of the fire at night, the ability to hang my laundry outside, and most of all, spend time with my husband in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teared up when I read this! I am so happy for you. Stick with it. Let all that stuff go! I promise you won't regret it!!!

      Blessing's :)

      Delete
  2. My husband I and 'wanted' so much more than our little 1/2 acre and 1200 sq ft house. It's just us and the two little kids. However...times are changing! We've seen the writing on the wall so to speak! We have 30 chickens, and a garden. We're canning and putting up our food. I LOVE that I found this blog/site! THANK YOU. I know I'm not the only one out there that believes in going back to the basics of how this country was founded. We're homeschooling now too. We can't afford to go completely off grid NOW, but we're working on it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Do To the enormous amounts of spam I will no longer take the time to moderate Anyone posting under anonymous... Sorry for the inconvenience but my email is blasted everyday with 40 to 50 anonymous posts that are junk mail. I just don't have the time to read each one before deleting.