Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Build Your Own Well Pump


This could come in handy! SRN

Got Water?

PARTS LIST BELOW. Got this idea from u-tuber Approtechie. He has a lot of good ideas. Use schedule 40 white PVC pipe. I don't have back up power here so this is my way of accessing my most convenient source of clean water if the power should go out for a long period of time. I used Teflon tape on any threaded joints. This cost about $70 to put together.
Parts List
Outer Pipe-One 11/4" plastic foot valve(Lowe's has them)
-One 11/4" adapter(slip x thread)
-As much 11/4" PVC pipe and couplings as needed
-One 11/4" x 1" Tee(slip)
-One 11/4" x 1" Bushing(slip)
-One 1" x 1/2" Bushing(slip) Trim the inside of this one.
Inner Pipe- One 3/4" Plastic foot valve
-One 3/4" Adapter(slip x thread) Trim the outside of this one.
-One 3" length of 3/4" pipe-sand one end to fit into 1"pipe
-About a 3ft. length of 1" pipe- this will be the piston
-One 1" x 1/2" Bushing(slip)
-As much 1/2" pipe and couplings as needed(1/4" holes drilled straight through pipe just above the piston)
-One 1/2"Tee(slip) + two short lengths of 1/2" with two 1/2"caps(slip) complete the handle.
THAT'S IT
I capped the handle off completely to trap air inside the upper portion of the 1/2" pipe because I didn't want to waste of energy lifting a lot of trapped water up and down. Also to force the water out the 11/4Tee. I was a little worried that the trapped air would make the inner pipe too buoyant so I did drill a hole in it about midway down. My well is pretty clean so I didn't put any kind of filter at the bottom. Some wells might need a finer screen than the one that comes with the foot valve( I think I've heard of people using sack cloth for this but not sure). For larger depths it might help to make the piston longer, maybe 5ft.
You tuber sameggers1: did a great video of his version!

      Follow link below to see a you Tube Video...
        http://youtu.be/PdUlyblmKhQ
Build Your Own Well Pump

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Pump Express which is a Stocking distributor and national service center for the world's leading manufacturers of industrial pumps and pump parts.

    ReplyDelete

Do To the enormous amounts of spam I will no longer take the time to moderate Anyone posting under anonymous... Sorry for the inconvenience but my email is blasted everyday with 40 to 50 anonymous posts that are junk mail. I just don't have the time to read each one before deleting.