Thursday, May 10, 2012

Easy Blender Mayonnaise

Make your own, eat fresh & save money. SRN

I made a promise to myself a few weeks ago when we were having internet connection trouble that I was going to start getting all my blog posts scheduled ahead of time in the inevitable event that it happened again.
And yet, here I am on Monday morning, writing out this recipe.

blog button draft 1

http://frugalfarmwife.com/article/easy-blender-mayonnaise

Why? because I was all set to write up how easy and fool proof making your own healthy mayonnaise was when, for the first time ever, my mayonnaise, that I was all set to photograph to show you the process failed. And it failed hard.

This of course was after the computer crash that ate the pictures from my last batch (that batch turned out beautifully btw.)

So why did it fail? That easy. I dumped all the ingredients together rather than slowly adding the oil to the egg. I've seen other people do it successfully, but rest assured, I will never do it again. What happened was the egg was overwhelmed by the oil, and it wasn't able to emulsify.
So obviously, the trick to successful mayonnaise (for me anyway) is so add the oil to the egg in a slow, steady stream while blending at high speed. This can be done in a blender, food processor, or with a stick blender.

My favorite by far is the stick blender, that way I can just blend it in the container I plan to keep it in, and stick my blender in that with very little mess. My least favorite is the blender. It seems harder to get that last bit of oil mixed in with the blender. Maybe I should just stop short when I use the blender.
A note on oils: you can use olive oil, but it can be strong tasting so make sure you use extra light. My personal favorite is coconut oil both because it's very healthy, and tastes good. The only drawback with coconut oil is that if you refrigerate it, it gets hard, and the separates as it warms.

Easy Mayonnaise
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 T. vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup oil
Combine first three ingredients. Here's all my stuff ready to go:
Mayonnaise makings, Uploaded with Snapbucket
Whir with blending apparatus (food processor, blender, stick blender, etc.).
Mayonnaise1, Uploaded with Snapbucket
Begin adding oil in small stream while blending. Mixture will become opaque and thicken as oil is blended in.
Mayonnaise2, Uploaded with Snapbucket
Presto! That's all there is to it!
Mayo3, Uploaded with Snapbucket

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do To the enormous amounts of spam I will no longer take the time to moderate Anyone posting under anonymous... Sorry for the inconvenience but my email is blasted everyday with 40 to 50 anonymous posts that are junk mail. I just don't have the time to read each one before deleting.